Blocked drains or clogged drains are very common and most happening plumbing problems that you can face at your home. Most of us take clogged drains as a normal problem and do not deal with it until it creates a bigger issue for us.
If clogged drains are not dealt with properly, they can cause serious issues that can mess with the plumbing system of your house.
Tips and Methods for Unclogging Drains
Clogged drains happen in every household. It is a common issue but if not dealt with quickly, it can transform into a complex problem that will cost you time, money, and your mental peace as well. That is why; it is recommended that you should deal with this issue as soon as possible.
There are many tips and methods that you can try before calling a plumber. These methods will not cost you a huge amount of money and in most cases; they prove to be very useful and helpful.
Some of the methods to unclog the drains are given below.
1. Bent Wire Hanger
A cloth hanger is a common tool found in every household. It can be very useful apart from hanging clothes. Hair, dirt, dead skin and soap, etc can cause a clog in your drain. A hanger can be used to remove this blockage. You need to perform the following steps to do this method.
- Take a coat hanger or a cloth hanger.
- Straight out the hanger and make a wire shape with the hook end on one side.
- Now start putting down this hanger wire from the hook side inside the blocked drain pipe.
- Now try poking inside with the help of this wire.
- Remember not to push the hanger downwards because it will push the blockage further down the drain instead of pulling it out.
- Try poking for some time and see if the blockage is removed or not.
2. Try Dish Detergent for Shower and Toilet Drains
The shower drain usually gets blocked due to hair and soap residue etc. The toilet usually blocks due to foreign products that you flush down your toilet other than human waste, for example, wipes, hair, dental floss, cotton balls etc. The dish wash liquid is good to unblock the shower or toilet drain because it can easily clear out the gunk and residue. Also, it helps to lubricate the drains. Follow the given steps for this method.
- First, take a dish wash detergent of good quality.
- Pour 1 cup dish wash detergent into the drain.
- Wait for 2-3 minutes and pour down boiling water into the drain.
- Now take a plunger and put it down the drain.
- The detergent and water mixture will help to clear out and soften the gunk inside and you will then easily pull out the blockage with the help of a plunger.
3. Try Using Coke
Maybe you find this tip to be new or never heard of, but it is a very useful method when you are dealing with clogged drains. Coke is very caustic in nature; though less than the chemical drain cleaners. Therefore it helps to remove the buildup or residue inside the drains. Follow the below steps.
- Take a 2-liter bottle of coke.
- Pour down the full bottle down the drain which is blocked.
- Let the coke rest inside for about an hour.
- Now pour down hot water in the drain to clean the remaining grease, oil, or blockage.
- Coke is good for removing grease blockage or more serious blockage but it will leave behind a grease film because of the sugar syrup in it.
4. Try Plungers
The plunger is a very common item that you can easily find at your home or the nearby local store. If the cleaners or liquids do not work to unclog the drain, then you should try using the plunger. To use a plunger properly, follow the given steps below.
- First, remove the drain cover from the top.
- Now adjust the plunger on the drain mouth and set it down by applying force downwards.
- When the plunger gets fixed, start applying force and push it down with as much force as possible.
- After that start plunging it up and down.
- After plunging enough, remove the plunger with a sudden force and run water to see if the clog is removed or not.
- 5. Use Caustic Soda
Caustic soda is a very harsh cleaning agent that is used for cutting out grease and oil etc. it is very harmful chemical and can cause burns. You should be careful while dealing with this chemical. Wear gloves and goggles while handling it. To unclog a drain with caustic soda, follow the below steps.
- Take a bucket and fill 3 gallons of water it.
- Add 3 cups of caustic soda to this water.
- Now stir with the help of a stick or something.
- The mixture will start making bubbles and frizz sounds.
- Pour down the mixture down the blocked drain.
- Let the mixture rest inside for 20-30 minutes.
- Pour down boiling water into the drain to clear away the mixture.
- Now check if the clog is removed by running water.
- If the clog still remains, you can repeat the process.
Clogged or blocked drains are trouble. Try to solve these blockages first without chemical cleaners to avoid further bigger problems.